WordPress Plug-in Development: The best Practices
“In WordPress plug-in development, it is important to enable the debugger, use a framework, internationalize, codes and use community themes and tools.”
WordPress is the most favoured CMS (content management systems) in the world. Awesome power of the plug-ins has made it popular with the masses. WordPress plug-in development is one of the core areas of WordPress development. The plug-ins developed by developers help webmasters customize website according to their exact needs and choice. Plug-ins relieves them of the pain of looking for technical support. Once a plug-in is developed, a webmaster only needs to upload it to the plugins folder on their web server and activate it in the WordPress dashboard.
There are a few things that WordPress developers need to keep in mind while developing WordPress plug-ins, which help websites run better. These standard practices kept in mind can take WordPress to the next level. Often this differentiates between good WordPress developers and ordinary ones. These practices help in standardization of the plug-ins helping them become popular.
What to Do While Developing WordPress Plug-Ins
• Debug Your Code – WordPress developers are used to debugging codes. You need to enable WP_DEBUG. This has to be placed in your wp-config.php file. If defined and set properly, error messages will be displayed. This will definitely make life a lot easier for you and save precious time while developing WordPress plug-ins.
• Use A Framework – In WordPress development, you don’t need to write absolute unique codes to gain recognition. Instead, you need to write quickly as time is money both for you and your client. Wherever a framework is present, use it instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. There are many free and premium frameworks available, which can save your time and let you, develop better plug-ins.
• Internationalize – Although you will code in English it is advisable to internationalize the codes so that it supports different languages. Your application may not have immediate use in the non-English speaking world but you can always cater to a larger audience. You can achieve this easily using PHP.
• Use Community Tools And Templates – Use community themes and templates, which are readily available to you. This will speed up the development process instead to trying to write codes from scratch. You can use things like “WordPress Starter Theme Project” and “WP Dummy Content” which will make it easy for you to develop WordPress plug-ins.
• Protect Files – Not all plug-in files should be accessed directly. You will need to add exceptions into the scripts that receive data from outside the WordPress framework. It may be things like thumbnail generators, image replacement techniques, or AJAX.
These things help WordPress developers in catering their clients with custom development of plug-ins. As a webmaster, these are a few important things that you must ask the developers before you outsource your WordPress development project. Ask all your WordPress Outsourcing questions at http://www.evontech.com/wordpress-development.html
Author - Priyanka
Tags - WordPress development, WordPress developers, WordPress plug-in development
Disclaimer - The author of the above article is solely responsible for the content of the above article. DailyOjo is not liable for the content of the above article. Report Spam/Abuse